Mahalaya being celebrated
Published : 08 Oct 2018, 13:32
The Hindus in the country have been celebrating the Mahalaya, the auspicious occasion heralding the advent of goddess Durga.
Mahalaya that is considered as ceremonial invocation of goddess Durga is observed seven days prior to the initiation of the Durga Puja, the largest religious festival of the Hindu community.
Hindus believe the earth prepares itself and welcomes the coming of the Goddess and her children, through the celebration.
Durga Puja will begin on October 15 with different rituals on the day of Maha Shashthi.
Mahanagar Sarbajanin Puja Committee has arranged special programmes of Mahalaya at Dhakeshwari Temple.
On this day, Hindus remember and pay homage to the deceased ancestors by performing a puja, and offering Brahmins clothes, food and sweets in their name.
- Most viewed
- Befitting reply awaits Padma Bridge “conspirators”: Prime Minister
- Female UP member dies as sharee gets tangled with wheel in Sylhet
- Prime Minister leaves for Saudi Arabia today
- Maha Saptami being celebrated
- US headed to Women's World Cup with 6-0 win over Jamaica
- Bangladesh set example of religious harmony, says PM
- Cabinet clears draft Broadcast Law, 2018
- Indian minister sues woman alleging sexual harassment for defamation
- Man sentenced to death in Khagrachhari for wife’s murder