Militants kill mother-daughter polio workers in Pakistan
Published : 19 Jan 2018, 13:24
Unidentified gunmen on Thursday shot dead a mother and her daughter who were part of a polio vaccination team in Quetta, the capital of Pakistan’s troubled Balochistan province.
The gunmen opened fire on the polio team in the Shalkot area, killing the two women in what law enforcers believe is a targeted attack, Dawn reported, quoting police sources.
The attackers escaped unhurt from the site of the attack, police said.
Earlier on Thursday, two policemen were shot dead in a targeted attack in the Zarghoon Road area in Quetta.
Polio teams have been the target of militants after the Taliban spread rumours that the vaccination drives were a front for espionage or a conspiracy to sterilise Muslims.
The last major attack targeting a polio vaccination team in Quetta took place two years ago in January 2016 in the Satellite Town area.
At least 13 policemen and a civilian were killed in the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan-claimed suicide attack near a polio centre.
- Most viewed
- No cell phones at Deepika, Ranveer destination wedding
- Nick Jonas reaches India for engagement bash with Priyanka
- How Jacqueline lost Bharat to Katrina
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Aretha Franklin made ‘Respect’ a feminist anthem
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Woman held in city for ‘spreading rumour on Facebook’
- Bangladesh won’t see killers reign again: PM
- Prime minister says Khaleda too involved in 15 Aug coup
- Sexual violence a tool to force ethnic minorities to migrate: Experts
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Sloane Stephens reaches Rogers Cup semifinals
- India's First Female SWAT Team Starts Work
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Man linked to reality TV star Bethenny Frankel found dead