Bangladeshi-origin girl wins global video award
Published : 18 Sep 2016, 23:09
A Bangladeshi-origin girl won a global video competition beating nearly 400 participants from over 60 countries.
Tanzina Nowshin won the Grand Prize of the Education Youth Video Challenge, organised by the US-based International Commission on Financing Global Education Opportunity known as the Education Commission with another Canadian girl Ruth Arunachalam.
Tanzina and Ruth are scheduled to receive the award on Sunday at the United Nations (UN) at a programme to be organised on the sideline of the 71st session of the UN General Assembly when official announcement will be made in presence of the world leaders and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
UN Special envoy for Global Education and Chair of the Education Commission Gordon Brown will hand over the award to the winners.
The 30-second video, which share young generation's ideas about the future of education, will also be screened at the programme, according to a press release of the organiser.
Tanzina now 19 was born in Canada to a family, migrated from Sylhet, Bangladesh. Her parents run a business in Toronto where she is currently studying engineering.
"My daughter was born and brought up in Canada, but she inherited Bangladeshi culture," Nurul Mostafa Raihan told BSS by phone.
He believed that her daughter's achievement would bring good name for both Canada and Bangladesh.
Twenty-three year-old Preeti Shakya from Nepal won the second prize and 30-year-old Gustavo Santana from Brazil won the third prize in the competition.
The Education Youth Video Challenge is a competition for young people from around the world aged 13 to 30 for producing 30-second videos that addressed two questions: How can education best prepare you for the future? and What would your ideal school of the future look like?
- Most viewed
- Woman commits suicide after ‘stabbing husband’ in city
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- 18 August Events
- 18 August Births
- 18 August Deaths
- No cell phones at Deepika, Ranveer destination wedding
- Nick Jonas reaches India for engagement bash with Priyanka
- How Jacqueline lost Bharat to Katrina
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- President, PM pay homage to Bangabandhu