1000-handed idol of Durga
Published : 25 Sep 2017, 15:16
A thousand-handed Durga idol adorns a mandop at Syarpur in the district town as Trinayani Shivbari Puja Udjapan Parishad has made the arrangement for celebrating Durga Puja, the biggest religious festival of the Bangalee Hindus, starting tomorrow.
“One thousand hands have been placed with the main idol in such a way that if seen from the front, goddess Durga would seem to be standing with the large number of hands,” said Sreekanto Sutradhor, president of Trinayani Shivbari Puja Udjapan Parishad.
“With these thousand hands, the Goddess will remove all the evil forces from the society. This is our belief and expectation,” he said, adding that the 35-feet-high and 30-feet-wide idol is the first of its kind in Sylhet division.
Besides, statues of some 100 gods and goddesses have been made on the basis of the story of Satyajug and Chaitanya, as part of the puja arrangement.
Sculptor Prosenjit Paul Kango, who has made these idols, was seen giving the finishing touches at the thousand-handed Durga idol yesterday.
- Most viewed
- Militants kill mother-daughter polio workers in Pakistan
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern may be first leader to give birth while in office
- Magura teenage girl ‘kills self’ for smartphone
- 19 January Deaths
- 19 January Births
- 19 January Events
- Must-take fitness resolutions for the Year 2018
- Deepika becomes a cop for a commercial
- Dhaka wants peaceful solution to Rohingya crisis: Sheikh Hasina
- 'Govt will move ahead evaluating past'
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Tarana for women’s equal participation in filmmaking
- Sri Lanka lifts 38-yr ban on women buying, selling alcohol
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- Pranab Mukherjee meets Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina