Voting in last phase of UP polls begins
Published : 04 Jun 2016, 18:06
The voting in the last phase polls to over 710 Union Parishads (Ups) across the country began this morning.
The balloting that began at 8 am will continue till 4 pm without any break.
All out preparations including stringent security measures have been taken to hold the elections in a free, fair, peaceful and festive manner.
Around 33,000 candidates, including the contesters for the post of union council chairmen and general and members in reserved seat are vying for.
The government has announced a public holiday in the poll areas on the day.
Nearly one crore voters will franchise their voting rights in the last phase of UP elections.
EC sources said around two lakh members of the law enforcement agencies including the plain clothed detectives will keep vigil to ensure peaceful atmosphere in and around the polling centers. Besides, mobile courts led magistrates will remain active during the polls.
- Most viewed
- People stream to Suhrawardy Udyan for Hasina's reception
- Temperature may fall by (1-2)°C over country
- Bangladeshi Sharmin wins Commonwealth recognition
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara due today
- AL to hold mass reception to Prime Minister today
- 21 July Events
- 21 July Births
- 21 July Deaths
- Keto or vegan? Hear it from the nutritionist
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- Putin, Macron, Kitarovic to watch World Cup final