1st female BD photographer selected for Joop Swart Masterclass
Published : 18 Apr 2018, 17:32
Ashfika Rahman is the first Bangladeshi female photographer who has been selected for the prestigious 2018 Joop Swart Masterclass, the most prestigious international platform for young photographers.
The Joop Swart Masterclass has been organized by World Press Photo every year since 1994 and has established itself as one of the most prestigious events of its kind.
Its goal is to bring together some of the most experienced individuals in photojournalism with 12 young, promising photographers to share and pass on their knowledge and experience.
Ashfika is one of the 12 young photographers of 9 different nationalities who have been selected for the 25th edition.
World Press Photo’s nomination committee selected 219 young photographers this year who were invited to submit their portfolios. Only 12 young photographers were selected based on the submitted portfolios.
The participants will receive an immersive, hands-on educational experience and will create a photo essay on one single theme from 23 to 29 September.
Asfika Rahman is an artist from Dhaka Bangladesh, primarily works with a medium of classical dance and theatre. She is a multidisciplinary artist working with photography, alternative printing and texts. She completed her photography studies from Pathshala South Asian Media Institute and also studied in Hochschule Hannover, Germany.
Founded in 1994, the Joop Swart Masterclass has brought together some of the finest young photographers from around world, and leading professionals in the fields of documentary photography and photojournalism.
Earlier, seven Bangladeshi photographers - GMB Akash (2002), Munem Wasif (2007), Andrew Biraj (2008), Saiful Huq Omi (2010) and Sarker Protick (2014), Samsul Alam Helal (2016) and Shadman Shahid (2017) were selected for Joop Swart Masterclass.
- Most viewed
- Woman commits suicide after ‘stabbing husband’ in city
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- 18 August Events
- 18 August Births
- 18 August Deaths
- No cell phones at Deepika, Ranveer destination wedding
- Nick Jonas reaches India for engagement bash with Priyanka
- How Jacqueline lost Bharat to Katrina
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- President, PM pay homage to Bangabandhu