One can register 20 SIMs against an NID card: Tarana Halim
Published : 20 Oct 2017, 17:18
State minister for Posts and Telecommunications Tarana Halim on Thursday said a person will now be allowed to register maximum 20 mobile SIM cards against anyone’s national identity card.
The decision was taken at a meeting held at the secretariat where prime minister’s ICT adviser Sajeeb Wazed Joy was present, Tarana said while talking to UNB.
Earlier in September, Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) revised its previous decision allowing a person to register highest five SIM cards against his or her NID card.
The state minister also said the 4G mobile phone service will be launched in the country by December next.
“All the facilities, including tech neutrality, will be ensured for the mobile phone operators,” she said.
She said Joy asked the mobile phone companies to ensure standard and speed in the 4G service, saying there will be no compromise in this regard.
The renewal fees and the licence fees will be the same as fixed by the government earlier, said the junior minister.
Mentioning that there are 24 concerns of the mobile operators regarding the 4G service, she said it will be possible for the BTRC to resolve some of them. “The major concerns will be sent to the Prime Minister for the revision.”
Besides, BTRC will sit with the mobile phone operators to fix the conversion fees, Tarana said.
She said the ISP licence fee will remain the same as before. “Call rates won’t be increased at the customer level,” she said, adding that a tower-sharing guideline will be introduced soon.
The state minister said the process for providing licence for the mobile number portability (MNP) is at the final stage. “The MNP, 4G, Banghabandhu Satellite, tower-sharing guideline and tech neutrality facilities will be ensured during the tenure of the present government,” she said.
- Most viewed
- PM urges journalists to use professional scope for people’s welfare
- Facebook accused of hiding job ads from women
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- 19 September Events
- 19 September Births
- 19 September Deaths
- Newspaper is mirror of society: PM
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit
- 14 September Births
- Dhaka University admission tests begin today
- 6 female activists of Jamaat held in Bogura
- 14 September Events
- 14 September Deaths
- Instagram rolls out new feature to help users with drug issues
- Women should be proud of their beauty: Jhanvi Kapoor
- Halle Berry to make directorial debut with bruised
- Choose natural plants to connect you to your interiors